PitterPatterFeet

Where Smart Kids Get On Their Feet !
Home » Conscious Parenting » Successful Parenting:Autism, Is Your State In The Top Ten

Successful Parenting:Autism, Is Your State In The Top Ten

A director at a school that I consult for asked me if I worked with Autistic children. I explained to her that not specifically but I have worked with them when they are mixed in with non-Autistic children. From my experience they really take to music and movement, they seem to love rocking back and forth to the rhythm. One boy I had in particular would actually touch the cd player and lean in to really pick up every sound. I am still learning about this particular group of children and find them very intriguing.

One thing I still don’t quite understand is, it seems to me that there are more boys with this condition than girls. Intuitively I feel that there is something I can do to help but have not had the time to really  delve into and explore it further. This group makes up a very small percentage of my population probably not even 1 %, so I spend much more of my time with the other 99% of my students. Hopefully at some point I will have more time to explore this area.

Anyway the director of the school made an interesting comment that I had to check out for myself. She said” New Jersey is the number one state for children having Autism.” What?” I say shocked, I couldn’t believe it so I did some research and according to my research New Jersey is not number one. Listed below are the states and their ranks.

RANK STATE

#1                                         California                                    24,863

#2                                         Texas                                              11,940

#3                                         New York                                      9,486

#4                                        Michigan                                        7,259

#5                                        Pennsylvania                                 7,178

#6                                        Florida                                              7,151

#7                                         Illinois                                              6,961

#8                                         Minnesota                                       5,838

#9                                         New Jersey                                      5,503

#10                                       Ohio                                                    5,49

Here is some information on the site that I got the information from, this is taken directly from their site. “StateMaster, a unique statistical database which allows you to research and compare a multitude of different data on US states. We have compiled information from various primary sources such as the US Census Bureau, the FBI, and the National Center for Educational Statistics.” It collect various data about a state. It is really comprehensive too, they have basically everything even things you wouldn’t think they would have like toothless residents and carpoolers. They are also updating their database all of the time. You can find them at http://www.statemaster.com

For more information on Autism you can try http://www.autismspeaks.org . They have a wealth of information their to support you. They have a resource guide of therapists, doctors, schools and community resources in your area. They also have a School Community Tool Kit for schools to support children with Autism, Top Ten Autism Research Advances for 2012 and more.

As always I ‘d love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic. Please leave a comment below in the reply area.  Also receive a free ebook on healthy eating and weight loss for your child at http://www.healthykidsweightloss.com


2 Responses to “Successful Parenting:Autism, Is Your State In The Top Ten”

  1. Interesting statistics. I think music is a language that speaks to many. It’s a universal language.

    • D'TaRelle F. Tullis says:

      Absolutely Jacqueline, that’s why I love it so much, both music and dance. I teach many children that are not originally new to this country. They don’t speak any English at all, but when I turn the music on and start moving we speak another language that we both can understand. The other thing I love about it, is the smiles on everyone’s faces, especially adults. Thank you so much Jacqueline for stopping by and leaving a comment. :-)

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge